- Adam Burke is the new artistic director at Children’s Theatre of Charlotte in North Carolina and will begin his tenure in June. Burke is a former assistant professor at St. Mary’s University in San Antonio, Tex.
- Malibu Stage Company in California has changed its name to Malibu Playhouse, and has named a new artistic director: Gene Franklin Smith. Smith is the founder of Write Act Repertory Company in Los Angeles and Troubled Souls Collective in Toronto. He takes over from Richard Johnson.
- Marilyn Langbehn has assumed the role of artistic director at Contra Costa Civic Theatre in California. She is the former marketing and PR manager at California Shakespeare Theater and is also a freelance director in the Bay Area.
- Nathan Motta has been promoted from associate artistic director to artistic director of Dobama Theatre in Cleveland. He takes over for Joel Hammer, who will stay on as artistic director emeritus.
- Capital Playhouse in Washington has named Heidi Fredericks as its new artistic director. Fredericks was the theatre’s producer for its Students on Stage program. The playhouse’s former interim artistic director, Troy Fisher, resigned in November.
- Chicago’s Raven Theatre has named its first-ever executive director: Kelli Strickland, the theatre’s director of eduction. Strickland will be stepping into the position in June.
- Angela Thompson has begun her tenure as executive director of The Maui Theatre in Hawaii. She succeeds Louisa Shelton.
- Clarence Brown Theatre in Tennessee has appointed David B. Byrd as its new managing director. Byrd is the former director of marketing at Westport Country Playhouse in Connecticut.
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!