NEW YORK CITY: Theatre Communications Group (TCG) has announced the recipients of the second round of the 2016 Edgerton Foundation New Play Awards. The awards, totaling $580,000, will support 22 productions and grant the entire creative team extra time in the development and rehearsal process of new plays. The first round was announced in August, and the third and final round of recipients will be announced later this year.
“Year after year, the Edgerton Foundation has honored its dedication to theatre through the New Play Awards,” said TCG executive director Teresa Eyring in a statement. “New plays have been given a deeper pool of resources in the earliest stages of production, helping to solidify their chances of receiving additive productions beyond the world premiere. In ten years, this program has undeniably helped in generating a new canon of American plays.”
The second round of 2016 Edgerton Foundation New Play Awards were presented to:
- Dauphin Island by Jeffrey Chastang at Alabama Shakespeare Festival
- Troubadour by Janece Shaffer with original Music by Kristian Bush at Alliance Theatre
- Marie and Rosetta by George Brant at Atlantic Theater Company
- The Book of Will by Lauren Gunderson at Denver Center Theatre Company
- Two Degrees by Tira Palmquist at Denver Center Theatre Company
- Other than Honorable by Jamie Pachino at Geva Theatre Center
- Objects in the Mirror by Charles Smith at Goodman Theatre
- How to Transcend a Happy Marraige by Sarah Ruhl at Lincoln Center Theater
- Napoli Brooklyn by Meghan Kennedy at Long Wharf Theatre
- Table with book and lyrics by Adam Gopnik, and music by David Shire at Long Wharf Theatre
- Going to See the Kid by Steven Drukman at Merrimack Repertory Theatre
- Orange by Aditi Brennan Kapil at Mixed Blood Theatre
- Miss Bennet: Christmas at Pemberley by Lauren Gunderson and Margot Melcon at Northlight Theatre
- Hannah and the Dread Gazebo by Jiehae Park at Oregon Shakespeare Festival
- The Profane by Zayd Dohrn at Playwrights Horizons
- String Around My Finger by Brenda Withers at Portland Stage Company
- If I Forget by Steven Levenson at Roundabout Theatre Company
- Harbur Gate by Kathleen Cahill at Salt Lake Acting Company
- Roz and Ray by Karen Hartman at Seattle Repertory Theatre
- The Gulf by Audrey Cefaly at Signature Theatre
- The Siegel by Michael Mitnick at South Coast Repertory
- Imogen Says Nothing by Aditi Brennan Kapil at Yale Repertory Theatre
The Edgerton Foundation New Plays Program, directed by Brad and Louise Edgerton, was piloted in 2006 with the Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles by offering two musicals in development an extended rehearsal period for the entire creative team, including the playwrights. The Edgertons launched the program nationally in 2007 and have supported 297 plays to date at over 50 different Art Theatres across the country. The Edgerton Foundation received the 2011 TCG National Funder Award in June in Los Angeles.
TCG member theatres with a strong and consistent track record of producing new work are invited by the foundation to submit letters of inquiry to email@example.com. A panel of readers reviews the plays and one-time grants ranging from $5,000 to $75,000 are awarded.
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!