HOUSTON: 4th Wall Theatre Company has announced that it will stay open, after previously announcing its closure in August. The company has received $100,00 donation from Ken Bohan, president and owner of the recruiting firm Liberty Group. The company will also conduct a nationwide search for its first managing director. A job description for the new position will be released before the end of 2017, and the role will be filled in July.
“Such generosity gives resonance to our commitment to fair pay for our artists, and underscores the importance of keeping the mid-tier theatre community alive and thriving in Houston,” said co-artistic director Kim Tobin-Lehl, in a statement.
4th Wall Theatre’s current production of Reckless (Nov. 30-Dec. 16), by Craig Lucas, marks the start of the company’s largest fundraising effort in its 7-year history, with a match challenge of $100,000 by Bohan. Titled “Wall of Strength and Solidarity,” the fundraiser will allow patrons to purchase a brick commemorating their support of the theatre.
The remaining shows for the 2017-18 season are back on schedule, including Suzanne Bradbeer’s Shakespeare In Vegas (May 17-June 9, 2018), featuring Tobin-Lehl and co-artistic director Philip Lehl in the cast.
An official statement by the theatre reads: “4th Wall Theatre could not be more proud or more committed to working harder than ever to be an integral part of the Houston arts community, and salutes its patrons who said, ‘we will not let you close!’”