- The Acting Company in New York City has promoted Ian Belknap from associate artistic director to artistic director. Belknap has been part of the company since 2008, when he was hired as the staff repertory director. He is replacing Margot Harley, who will continue at the company as a producer.
- Seattle Repertory Theatre has extended artistic director Jerry Manning’s contract to 2017. Manning has been with the theatre since 2001, first holding the position of associate artistic director.
- Nebraska’s Omaha Theater Company has a new artistic director: Matthew Gutschick. He replaces James Larson, who retired in May after a 28-year tenure. Gutschick received an MFA in theatre management at Yale School of Drama in 2012.
- Marge Betley is the new artistic director of Stagebridge in California. She was the co-founder and co-artistic director of Living Room Opera in Minneapolis and has written for this magazine.
- The House Theatre of Chicago has appointed Brian Frederick as its managing director, a position that has been open since 2010. Frederick was a director of development at the Great River Shakespeare Festival in Minnesota.
- Erika S. Floreska has joined the Tectonic Theater Project in NYC as executive director, succeeding Greg Reiner, who left to become executive director at nearby Classic Stage Company.
- NYC’s the Civilians has found a new executive director: JJ Lind, who replaces Marion Friedman Young. Lind was previously the director of strategic integration at New York Live Arts.
- At Actor’s Express in Atlanta, Nan Barnett is the new executive director. Barnett was a founding company member and managing director at Florida Stage.
- Joe Mader is the new managing director at San Francisco’s 42nd Street Moon. Mader is a former SF Weekly theatre critic and has served as a stage manager and a writer for various Moon productions.
- Elizabeth Doran has joined the Pasadena Playhouse in California as executive director. Doran is the former managing director of Los Angeles’s The Actor’s Gang. Concurrently, the Playhouse has renewed artistic director Sheldon Epps’s contract.
- Joshua Friedman begins his tenure this month as managing director of Hangar
Theatre in New York, as executive director Lisa Bushlow departs the theatre. Friedman previously worked as a production manager at the Alley Theatre in Houston.
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!