NEW YORK CITY: The New York Innovative Theatre Foundation has announced the recipients of the 2016 IT Awards, which celebrate Off-Off-Broadway productions. An awards ceremony was held on Sept. 26 at Hunter College.
The 2016 nominees included 145 individual artists, 50 productions, and 44 theatre companies. In the past 12 years, the IT Awards have honored nearly 2,200 artists, 600 productions, and 550 companies. This year’s recipients are listed below.
- Outstanding Ensemble: The Golfers at Gemini CollisionWorks (Fred Backus, Broderick Ballantyne, Rebecca Gray Davis, Lex Friedman, Ian W. Hill, Bob Laine, Matthew Napoli, Timothy McCown Reynolds, Alyssa Simon, and Anna Stefanic)
- Outstanding Solo Permance: Siobhan O’Loughlin in Broken Bone Bathtub, Elephant Run District
- Outstanding Actor in a Featured Role: Timothy McCown Reynolds in The Golfer, Gemini CollisionWorks
- Outstanding Actress in a Featured Role: Midori Francis in Connected, Project Y Theatre Company
- Outstanding Actor in a Lead Role: Fred Backus in The Golfer, CollisionWorks
- Outstanding Actress in a Lead Role: Maeve Yore in Harper Regan, T. Schreiber Studio
- Outstanding Choreography/Movement: Becky Baumwoll, Above Below, Broken Box Mime Theater
- Outstanding Director: Fritz Brekeller, Composure, WorkShop Theater Company
- Outstanding Lighting Design: Aaron Gonzalez, Wait Unitl Dark, Variations Theatre Group
- Outstanding Costume Design: Kaitlyn Elizabeth Day, The Golfer, Gemini CollisionWorks
- Outstanding Set Design: George Allison, Hot L Baltimore, T. Schreiber Studio
- Outstanding Sound Design: Joe Jung & KJ Sanchez, Unity (1918), Project: Theater
- Outstanding Innovative Design – Props Design: Berit Johnson, The Golfer, CollisionWorks
- Outstanding Original Music: Matt Sherwin, Gluten!, Adjusted Realists
- Outstanding Original Short Script: Kim Katzberg, Strays
- Outstanding Original Full-Length Script: Scott C. Sickles, Composure, WorkShop Theater Company
- Outstanding Performance Art Production: Above Below, Broken Box Mime Theater
- Outstanding Production of a Musical: Steve: A Docu-Musical, New York Neo-Futurists
- Outstanding Premiere Production of a Play: Utility, The Amoralists
- Outstanding Revival of a Play: Street Theater, TOSOS
Special awards were also presented. The Fringe NYC received the 2016 Ellen Stewart Award. The 2016 Artistic Achievement Award was given to Carmelita Tropicana, and the New Stage Theatre Company was the recipient of the 2016 Caffe Cino Fellowship Award.
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!