NEW YORK CITY: The Drama League has announced the theatre directors and ensembles that will develop new plays and musicals as part of its 2017 Drama League Artist Residency Program. The 12 projects include works from Elena Heyman, Kristin Marting, and Jenny Larson. The residency includes rehearsal spaces, mentorships, administrative support, and a stipend.
“The Drama League received triple the number of residency applications over last year’s cycle, demonstrating an urgent need for artists to find a nurturing creative home,” said executive artistic director Gabriel Stelian-Shanks in a statement.
The resident artists and their projects are:
- THE AЯTS, written, directed and designed by Kevin Doyle, as part of the Brooklyn-based company Sponsored by Nobody.
- Bring the Beat Back, by Derek Lee McPhatter, and directed by Christopher Burris
- Intelligence, by Helen Banner, directed by Jess Chayes
- Graceful Exit, by Alanna Coby, composed by Sean Vigneau-Britt, and directed by Megan Hanley
- Home/Yuva, by Sami Berat Marcali, and directed by Elena Heyman
- Casta, by Adrienne Dawes, and directed by Jenny Larson, in collaboration with Salvage Vanguard Theatre in Austin
- Assembled Identities, co-created by Purva Bedi, Mariana Newhard, Drew Weinstein, and Kristin Marting, and directed by Marting
- Distant Star, by Javier Antonio González, and directed by Shira Milikowsky
- Father God Mother Death, written and performed by Mario Golden, and directed by Andreas Robertz
- America Is Hard to See. written and directed by Travis Lee Russ
- Gilded Girls, by Mallery Avidon, and directed by Caitlin Sullivan
- The Summer Way, conceive and created by Brandon Woolf and Maxwell Flaum
The Drama League also announced its First Stage Residencies for early- and mid-career directors, to develop new projects.
The artists are:
- Jessica Bashline, Fresh
- Jake Beckhard, CHELSEAS
- Sophie Blumberg, Trixie The Giant
- West Hyler, Stella Nova
- Alexandra Keegan, Tough
- Cat Miller, Untitled Clara Immerwahr Play
- Molly Beach Murphy, Galveston
- Tatiana Pandiani, The Poet And The King
- Elinor Renfield, Borkhova
- Dan Rogers, The Future Perfect
- Marcus Scott, Cherry Bomb
- Michelle Tattenbaum, Ideas
- Gabriel Vasquez, Such A Tragedy
The Artist Residency Program was launched in 2013 and has developed a number of works include the TEAM’s RoosevElvis, Ripe Time’s The World Is Round, Rady&Bloom’s The Upper Room, Georama at Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, and Piehole’s Hand Foot Fizzle Face.
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!