MCCALL, IDAHO: Id Theater has announced the lineup for its 17th Seven Devils Playwrights Conference, which will take place at the Alpine Playhouse June 8-17. The conference is free and open to the public and will feature a playwriting workshop, an evening of plays and an “insta-play” in which community members are guided through writing and performing a short play.
The nine playwrights were selected from a pool of 450 submissions. The plays selected for the event are:
- Elaine Romero’s Modern Slave, which follows the story of Andrea as she tries to free a Chinese sweatshop worker and stumbles into a problem of global proportions.
- Patrick Gabridge’s Drift, a story of two farm families united by common suffering after a deadly pesticide drift.
- Steph Del Rosso’s Flee, in which Delia experiences turmoil as she attempts to run from her problems.
- Kyle John Schmidt’s The Secretary, in which Ruby’s small town gun company’s newest model goes off automatically without anyone pulling the trigger.
- Manuel Zarate’s Stroke, a story about a famous painter who tries to return to painting after a paralyzing stroke.
- Isabella D’Esposito’s Horizon Three, in which a commander runs into problems in outer space after her robot exceeds his own design and throws them off course.
- Dayna Smith’s The Burnouts.
- Rabbit/Moon, by Matthew Cameron Clark and Dwayne Blacktaller, both of Boise Contemporary Theater.