NEW YORK CITY: The 2018 Theatre World Award honorees have been announced, comprising Broadway and Off-Broadway debut performances. The winners will be celebrated at 74th annual Theatre World Awards Ceremony on the set of the Tony-nominated Broadway revival of Once on This Island at Circle in the Square Theatre on June 4.
The winners, from performances in the 2017-18 theatrical season, are:
- Anthony Boyle, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child
- Jamie Brewer, Amy and the Orphans
- Noma Dumezweni, Harry Potter and The Cursed Child
- Johnny Flynn, Hangmen
- Denise Gough, Angels in America
- Harry Hadden-Paton, My Fair Lady
- Hailey Kilgore, Once on This Island
- James McArdle, Angels in America
- Lauren Ridloff, Children of a Lesser God
- Ethan Slater, SpongeBob SquarePants
- Charlie Stemp, Hello, Dolly!
- Katy Sullivan, Cost of Living
In addition, Victor Garber will receive the 6th annual John Willis Award for Lifetime Achievement in the Theatre; he was last seen on Broadway in the revival of Hello, Dolly!
The Theatre World Awards was first presented in 1945 and was founded by John Willis, editor-in-chief of Theatre World, an annual guide to theatre around the country.
The Theatre World Award winners were chosen by the Theatre World Awards Committee, comprising theatre critics Roma Torre (NY1), David Cote (formerly of Time Out New York), Joe Dziemianowicz (New York Daily News), Peter Filichia (formerly of the Newark Star-Ledger) Harry Haun (The Observer), Elysa Gardner (formerly of USA Today), and Frank Scheck (The Hollywood Reporter).
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!