MIAMI: The Knight Foundation has announced that it will invest $500,000 in an open call for new, groundbreaking works of dance, theatre, and music by artists and arts organizations who have a strong connection to Miami, as part of its Knight New Work Miami initiative.
“New Work will showcase artists who take risks, innovate, and inspire people,” said Victoria Rogers, Knight Foundation vice president for the arts, in a statement. “We’re not looking for nice, safe ideas. We want to commission art in Miami that has the potential to be groundbreaking—created and performed at the highest levels.”
With funding from Knight New Work Miami, choreographers, playwrights, composers, and local performing arts organizations will be able to develop new works of performance art that will premiere in Miami during the 2020-21 season. Artists selected are also allowed to seek out additional funding from other sources if it is necessary. Submissions are due on Aug. 31 and winners will be announced in December 2018.
The Knight Foundation has previously been instrumental in developing Miami’s cultural growth, as it invested $125 million in the arts in South Florida and established programs like the Knight Arts Challenge. It hopes to promote collaboration between artists and local organizations through the initiative.
“Miami has blossomed into a community where art is created, not just performed or experienced,” said Knight Foundation president Alberto Ibargüen in a statement. “We want to leverage that. Our success will be measured by more challenging and inspiring works of authentically, made-in-Miami art, for the world to see our artists’ interpretation of our evolving community.”
Founded in 1950, the Knight Foundation is a national foundation for journalism and the arts, which aims to encourage the development of informed and engaged communities.