- The American Theatre Wing presented musical-theatre team Joshua Salzman and Ryan Cunningham with the Jonathan Larson Grant in March. The award, totaling $10,000, is given to emerging composers, lyricists and book writers.
- Philadelphia Theatre Company has awarded A. Zell Williams the Terrence
McNally New Play Award. The $10,000 prize will allow Williams to develop his play The Urban Retreat at PTC.
- Repertorio Español in New York City has announced the winners of the 2012 MetLife Nuestras Voces National Playwriting Competition. Marco Antonio Rodr?uez will receive $3,000 and a 2014 production at Repertorio for his play Barceló Con Hielo (Barceló on the Rocks).
- Portland Stage Company in Maine has announced the winners of the Clauder Competition, for playwriting in New England. Thomas Coash won the grand prize and $2,500 for Veils. Ian MacAllister’s The Vikings of Munjoy Hill and Joe Waechter’s Lake Untersee won the Gold Prize and $600 each. All three plays will be presented at Portland Stage’s Little Festival of the Unexpected in May.
- At the United States Institute for Theatre Technology’s 2013 Conference & Stage Expo held in March in Milwaukee, Wis., Neil A. Mazzella received the 2013 Distinguished Achievement Award in Technical Production,
and Otts Munderloh took home the Distinguished Achievement Award in Sound Design & Technology.
- Childsplay and Indiana Repertory Theatre held their Write Now festival, dedicated to theatre-for-young-audience plays, in Arizona in March. Four finalists were given readings. The plays were The Smartest Girl in the World by Miriam Gonzales, The Boy Who Loved Monsters and the Girl Who Loved Peas by Jonathan Graham, Birdsong by Nicholas Kyrah and Bloom by Andrew Morton.
- Darling by Ryan Scott Oliver (music and lyrics) and Brett Ryback (book) is the winner of the New Musical Award at the Weston Playhouse Theatre Company of Vermont. Songs from the musical were performed in concert at Weston in March.
- Brian Mulholland is the winner of the 2013 Stanley Drama Award and $2,000 for his play The Return of Tartuffe. The prize was presented by Wagner College Theatre in New York.
- Director and choreographer Jerry Mitchell will be presented with the 2013 “Mr. Abbott” Award in May by the Stage Directors and Choreographers Foundation, in honor of his 30-year career.
- Seven theatre artists have received the Savva Morozo Diamond Award from Moscow Art Theatre in Russia. The Americans in that group are Robert J. Orchard, F. Murray Abraham and Robert Falls.
Support American Theatre: a just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. Please join us in this mission by making a donation to our publisher, Theatre Communications Group. When you support American Theatre magazine and TCG, you support a long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!