WASHINGTON, D.C.: The National Endowment for the Arts announced today its guidelines to swiftly distribute funding to nonprofit arts organizations from the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act to preserve jobs and help support organizations forced to close operations due to the spread of COVID-19.
With the $75 million appropriated to the National Endowment for the Arts through the CARES Act, the endowment will award 40 percent of the funds directly to state and regional arts agencies by April 30 to distribute through their funding programs. The remaining 60 percent of the funds are designated for direct grants to nonprofit arts organizations all across the United States, and will be announced by June 30.
“The National Endowment for the Arts is thankful to the president and members of Congress for recognizing the cultural and economic contribution to America made by the 5,100,000 men and women employed in the arts sector across the United States,” said Mary Anne Carter, chairman of the National Endowment for the Arts, in a statement. “In an effort to provide funding to save as many jobs as possible, as quickly as possible, these time frames are faster than the schedule used in 2009 to distribute relief funds. I am proud of the professionalism and organizational excellence demonstrated by our tireless staff and look forward to doing all that we can to help save jobs in the arts sector and keep the doors open to the thousands of organizations that add value to America’s economy and the creative life of our communities.”
More than 3,700 organizations that have received National Endowment for the Arts awards in the past four years are eligible to apply for a direct grant. Funds can be used for staff salary support, fees for artists or contractual personnel, and facilities costs. The direct grants will not require a cost share or match, and will be for a fixed amount of $50,000. Designated local arts agencies eligible to subgrant may request $100,000 or $250,000 for subgranting programs. The deadline to apply is April 22, with the earliest announcement of grant award or rejection by June 30. Please see the Arts Endowment’s website for program description, eligibility requirements, application review, and FAQs.
As with all of the NEA’s direct grants, applications will be reviewed by panels convened by the endowment and judged on artistic excellence and merit, which includes the potential to have a significant and immediate impact on the arts workforce and the organization’s ability to carry out an award.
More information on the National Endowment for the Arts’ COVID-19 response can be found at arts.gov, including FAQs for applicants and grantees and links to government resources and nationwide resources for artists and arts organizations. In addition, Chairman Carter has started a weekly podcast, Chairman’s Corner, which is available to stream and download at arts.gov.
A just and thriving theatre ecology begins with information for all. If you are able, please join us in this mission by making a donation. As we reckon with the impact of COVID-19, the theatre field needs committed and nuanced journalism. Free and unlimited access to AmericanTheatre.org is one way that we and our publisher, Theatre Communications Group, are eliminating barriers to crucial resources during this crisis. When you support American Theatre and TCG, you support these emergency resources and our long legacy of quality nonprofit arts journalism. Click here to make your fully tax-deductible donation today!