NEW YORK CITY: The Dramatists Guild Foundation (DGF) has announced the recipients of its inaugural DGF Writers Alliance Grants. The grants will provide $5,000 to support a nonprofit theatre’s production of a new work, and an additional $5,000 will be awarded to the writer or writing teams being produced.
“After 55 years of giving to nonprofit theatres, our board has restructured our former Theater Grant program into the Writers Alliance Grants,” said DGF executive director Rachel Routh in a statement. “These awards honor our commitment to nonprofit theatres and give direct funds to the writers enriching their communities across the country. We believe that by honoring theatres with outstanding commitment to both the writers’ work and livelihood, we are doing our part to highlight the writers’ essential role in the creation of theatere”
The selected playwrights, writing teams, and theatre companies are:
- Meridith Friedman, Your Best One, Curious Theatre Company in Denver
- Gordon Leary and Julia Meinwald, The Loneliest Girl in the World, Diversionary Theatre in San Diego, Calif.
- Cameron Cobb, Michael Federico, and Max Hartman, Pompeii!!, Kitchen Dog Theater Company in Dallas
- Jenifer Nii, The Weird Play, Plan-B Theatre Company in Salt Lake City
- Kristiana Rae Colon, Tilikum, Sideshow Theatre Company in Chicago
- Bekah Brunstetter, an original commission from Theater Breaking Through Barriers in New York City
- Jennifer Barclay, Ripe Frenzy, Synchronicity Theatre in Atlanta
- Eleanor Burgess, The Niceties, Portland Stage Company in Portland, Maine
- Harrison David Rivers, The Bitter Earth, Penumbra Theatre in St. Paul, Minn
- Tom Horan, The Pill, Phoenix Theatre in Indianapolis